Nick Lortz is sitting outside a café in Whistler, a village in the Canadian mountains, when a stranger comes and sits next to him. She’s young, pretty, and has a beautiful smile. Nick is happy to sit and talk with her.
But why does she call Nick ‘Mr Hollywood’? Why does she give him a big kiss when she leaves? And who is the man at the next table – the man with short white hair?
Nick learns the answers to these questions three long days later – in a police station on Vancouver Island.
(Click CC button to turn on/off subtitles.
Click the rectangle button at down-right corner to view fullscreen)
- Not interested in graded book? GET FULL BOOK
- bar: a room where people can buy and have drinks
- blood: blood is red and moves around inside the body
- bridge: something build high to go over a river or a road
- busy: with many things happening
- cafe: a place where people can buy and eat food and drink
- city: a big important town
- crowd: a lot of people
- desk: people in offices sit and work at desk
- fall (past tense fell): to go down quickly from a high place
- ferry: a ship to carry cars and people
- floor: the part of a room which is under your feet
- fly (past tense flew): to travel through the air (ex: by areoplane)
- follow: to go after someone or something
- great: wonderful, very good
- guess: to try to give the right answer when you don’t know it
- gun: a thing that shoots out bullets to kill people
- guy: a man
- kiss: to touch someone with your lips, to show love, or to say hello or goodbye
- magazine: a book with a paper cover which comes out every week, month, etc.
- maybe: perhaps
- millionaire: somebody who has a millions pounds or dollars, or more
- mountain: a very high hill
- movie: a film which you see at a cinema
- mystery: something that you do not understand and cannot explain
- outside: not in something (a room, a building, etc.)
- park: a garden or place in a town where people can walk, sit, play games, etc.
- party: a meeting of friends to eat, drink, talk, dance, etc.
- point: to show with your finger where someone or something is
- policeman: the police are the men and women in a country who catch criminals, try to stop people doing wrong, etc.
- police station: an office of hte police
- pretty: beautiful, nice to look at
- pull: to hold and move something towards you
- push: to move something away from you with your hands
- restaurant: a place where people can buy and eat meals
- scream: to cry out loud, usually when you are afraid or hurt
- shoot (past tense shot) to sent a bullet from a gun to kill or hurt somebody
- short: the bullet sent from a gun
- shout: to call or try out loudly and strongly
- stranger: somebody that you do not know
- sure: certain, knowing what something is true
- tea: a hot drink, often with sugar and milk or lemon
- travel: to visit other countries, cities, etc.
- turn: to move around
- vacation: a holiday, a time when you do not work and perhaps go travelling
- waiter: somebody who brings your food or drink in a restaurant or cafe
- worried: afraid that something is wrong or something bad is going to happen